Wednesday, May 06, 2015

You Might Be UU -- How to take Christ out of Christianity



I figured there'd be a Unitarian reference and I was right ... Living on Tulsa time ...

A good read ... How to take Christ out of Christianity

"These are the people who identify with ambivalent, ambiguous statements like “I’m spiritual, but not religious”; “I’m kind of agnostic”; “Now I’m an atheist, but I grew up Catholic”; or “I believe in something, but I don’t know if it’s God.”"

“These people are looking for communities and for memories from their background, but they want to do it in an intellectually consistent way.”

"Believing Christians need not water down the fact that God is at the root of their commitments and traditions to accommodate nonbelievers. And nonbelievers need not make a point of telling their believing brethren that general goodwill or humanism is a better motivation for good works. As Maguire points out, the biblical metaphor for society is a household, not an institution but a dwelling place for a family. Though families will quarrel over what they don’t have in common, they are meant to come together for what they do: an ancient story of a new family formed in a place most of us will never go and a call to peace in the world that none of us can ever entirely live up to. And that is worth keeping alive for its radical, enduring and miraculous love."

Hey we are "these people".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home