Saturday, August 29, 2015

Somewhere



Julie points out that in this Brain Pickings blog post link  there is a quote by Leonard Bernstein:
  • I believe that man’s noblest endowment is his capacity to change. Armed with reason, he can see two sides and choose: He can be divinely wrong. I believe in man’s right to be wrong. Out of this right he has built, laboriously and lovingly, something we reverently call democracy. He has done it the hard way and continues to do it the hard way — by reason, by choosing, by error and rectification, by the difficult, slow method in which the dignity of A is acknowledged by B, without impairing the dignity of C. Man cannot have dignity without loving the dignity of his fellow. 
  • I believe in the potential of people. I cannot rest passively with those who give up in the name of “human nature.” Human nature is only animal nature if it is obliged to remain static. Without growth, without metamorphosis, there is no godhead. If we believe that man can never achieve a society without wars, then we are condemned to wars forever. This is the easy way. But the laborious, loving way, the way of dignity and divinity, presupposes a belief in people and in their capacity to change, grow, communicate, and love.
Any time I see a quote with the work "man" I always intone as i read "and woman" ...

I like this very much.  It has elements of Camus's  Myth of Sisyphus

there's also Churchill's quotes too ...

  • Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.and ...  
  • It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried. 



I love Leonard Bernstein ..  He changed my life.  West Side Story -- somewhere

instrumental


and singing.





Someday i want to do a sermon on this kinda ...  


Sugarloaf is my somewhere.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home