Thursday, July 06, 2006

Urban Legends: I got this from my Dad...

I got this from my Dad. It's been checked for viruses.

"This is Weird But Interesting

fi yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae a sgtrane mnid too
Cna yuo raed tihs? Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can.

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltte er be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!"

when I get an email from Dad telling me to pass it on I check the urban legend site and I get to debunk what Dad sent. I checked the urban legend verification web site and did not find a reference.

Handy Urban Legend debunker link

For the longest time Dad lived in an almost rural Exurb. So I think of all this stuff as rural legends too.

Not finding a reference was shocking because usually, almost always, I get to debunk.

I did find an interesting web site that appears to confirm what's written Psycholinguists Strike Back! However what's written by the psycholinguist does not appear to be a slam-debunk (sorry could not resist).

Nevertheless: I take great comfort in the fact that if Dad sends me this stuff he must be ok.

1 Comments:

Blogger Homage said...

"slam-debunk"

You, my friend, are a chapmoin.

6:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home