Thursday, December 15, 2011

The Compassion Exercise

Carol gave a sermon this past month and led us in the Compassion Exercise. She had cards and I got one and told someone about it and gave the card away.

I googled and I found the web site that Carol referenced on the card: Avatar...

The Compassion Exercise

Honesty with one's self leads to compassion for others.

OBJECTIVE: To increase the amount of compassion in the world.

EXPECTED RESULTS: A personal sense of peace.

INSTRUCTIONS: This exercise can be done anywhere that people congregate (airports, malls, parks, beaches, etc.). It should be done on strangers, unobtrusively, from some distance. Try to do all five steps on the same person.

Step 1: With attention on the person, repeat to yourself:
"Just like me, this person is seeking some happiness for his/her life."

Step 2 With attention on the person, repeat to yourself:
"Just like me, this person is trying to avoid suffering in his/her life."

Step 3 With attention on the person, repeat to yourself:
"Just like me, this person has known sadness, loneliness and despair."

Step 4 With attention on the person, repeat to yourself:
"Just like me, this person is seeking to fulfill his/her needs."

Step 5 With attention on the person, repeat to yourself:
"Just like me, this person is learning about life."


Carol is listed as a Local Avatar Master on the Avatar web site -- Who knew? Carol was our Worship Committee Chair for 7 years -- she is the stuff of legend...

WOW... That's a big link...

This can also be filed under God Loves You and I'm Trying...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home